· Andalusia is an autonomous community of Spain. It is the most populous and the second largest of the seventeen autonomous communities of the Kingdom of Spain. Its capital and largest city is Seville. The region is divided into eight provinces: Huelva, Seville, Cádiz, Córdoba, Málaga, Jaén, Granada and Almería.
· Andalusia is located south of the autonomous communities of Extremadura and Castile-La Mancha ,between the Sierra Morena Mountains and the Mediterranean Sea; west of the autonomous community of Murcia and the Mediterranean Sea; east of Portugal and the Atlantic Ocean; and north of the Mediterranean Sea, the Strait of Gibraltar, which separates Spain from Morocco .
· We celebrate our Andalusian Day on the 28th of February. We do a lot of activities like an Andalusian Breakfast (bread and oil), dancing, poetry, music...
· Andalusia was the most important staging ground for the war with Rome led by Hannibal. The Romans defeated the Carthaginians and conquered Andalusia, the region being renamed Baetica.
· Andalusian culture was deeply influenced by half a millennium of Muslim Rule during the Middle Ages. Córdoba became the largest and richest city in Western Europe and one of the largest in the world.
· Under the Muslims, the name "Al-Andalus" was applied to a larger area than the present Spanish region, and at some periods it referred to nearly the entire Iberian peninsula; it survived, however, as the name of the area where Muslim rule and culture persisted the longest.
· In 1492 the last Moor king Boabdil gives the city of Granada to the Catholic Monarchs Isabel and Fernando and moves to the Alpujarra mountains. With the discovery of the New World by Christopher Columbus begins the golden age of Andalusia. Seville becomes the main place for all trading activities.
· Andalusia is traditionally an agricultural area, but the service sector (particularly tourism, retail sales, and transportation) now predominates. The construction sector is growing very quickly.
· The most famous Andalusian dish is gazpacho, a cold soup made with tomatoes, onion, garlic, peppers, cucumbers, and olive oil. The other dish for which Andalusia is known is fried fish, available at special shops called freidurías.
· A salad of lettuce and tomatoes is served with most dishes, but these are usually the only vegetables that accompany a meal. Andalusia's most popular drink is cold beer .
· Some important and famous andalusians are:
Esther Arroyo and Paz Vega (actresses),
Antonio Banderas and Alex O´Dogherty (actors).
Paquiro and Paquirri : Bullfighters.
Juan Díaz de Solís: Explorer.
Almanzor , Arganthonios, Emilio Castelar, Gonzalo Fernández de Córdoba, Trajanus , Blas Infante… : Politicians.
Sara Baras (flamenco dancer), David Bisbal ( pop singer) , Manuel de Falla (composer of classical music), Lola Flores (Singer, dancer and actress), Rocío Jurado (Singer), Camarón de la Isla (Flamenco Singer): Musicians.
Alonso Cano (sculptor and painter), Murillo, Picasso and Velazquez (painters).
Paquillo Fernández ( athletics), Juanito, Fernando Hierro, Joaquín, Sergio Ramos and Kiko (football players): Sports people.
Séneca, Bécquer, Garcia Lorca, Juan Ramón Jiménez, los hermanos Machado, Luis Rosales…: Writers.